The types of yoga

Once the yogi has implemented the yamas and niyamas in his life, he should simultaneously practice yogic techniques of concentration. Every human being is unique and has his or her own set of tastes and methodology towards life. However, even unique personalities fall under a broad personality type. Yoga has different paths to attain self-liberation for different personality types.

For people who have a scientific approach towards life, kriya yoga is the prescribed practice. This approach involves directly tuning the mind to higher energies and channelizing these energies into the different chakras or energy centers of the body. It also involves practicing asanas that prepare the body to withstand the cosmic energies and directly percieve god. This is considered to be the hardest path as it requires strict vows and discipline.

For the artists, who love identifying the emotional aspect of life, bhakti yoga is the answer. Through bhakti yoga, the practitioner chooses and establishes a personal relationship with god that he or she is comfortable practicing. People in different religions have either considered god as a father, a mother or a friend. According to yogic philosophies, one can consider oneself to be a lover of god devote him or herself to that relationship.

For the philosophers of the world, jnana yoga is a great technique of finding the supreme truth. Jnana yoga is all about perceiving god through one’s intelligence and gaining knowledge through scriptures and spiritual texts that have been passed on from generation to generation. The jnana yogis aspire to gain the ultimate wisdom that helps them understand their relationship with and their position in the universe.

Finally, for the worldly man or woman who emphasizes on the practicality of life, Karma yoga is the suitable path. Karma Yoga is the path of action that inspires the yogi to perform actions with detachment and fulfill his or her duty. The yogi does not care for the fruits of his or her action and only acts to for the benefit of the cosmos. This concept of performing the right action that upholds the society is defined as dharma in the Bhagavat Gita. Dharma evolves as the society evolves.

It is interesting to find that nature has provided so many paths to its children to choose from and reach the ultimate goal of realizing one’s relationship with the universe.  It is this inherent intelligence of nature that we take for granted in our life and are only able to realize once we make ourselves sensitive and conscious through the practice of yoga.

3 Replies to “The types of yoga”

1. This is a great post! I personally really enjoy practicing yoga in my spare time, however, I never knew much about the different types. Since yoga incorporates the mind, body and soul I guess it is only fitting that there are different styles for everyones personality although I’m not positive which would be my best fit.

2. Probably jnana and karma yoga suits me better, although I know I am not a philosopher of the world. I don’t know whether I am right, if someone doesn’t have a certain religious belief, jnana yoga will be better for him rather than bhakti yoga if he wants to pursue a higher level of spirituality. Furthermore, it seems that with the lower passion and loyalty to the god, the yoga requires fewer restraints.

1. Keen observation there tony!! I think jnana and karma yoga is apt for non-religious people. But so is raj yoga because it is about concentrating the mind and tuning it higher energies such as love and compassion. These energies are universal and are not bound by religious sects.